You went to the marketplace and buy wood logs for making some furniture. You can’t make furniture with them without getting them shaped adequately. One thing is sure that with surfaced wood which is not the same size and shape, you can never get the perfection. Here the best wood planer will come in handy. You will get the proper thickness by using the perfect wood planer.
Best Wood Planer Definition
A woodworking machine which can trim boards to a consistent thickness throughout their length and flat on both surfaces are known as the best wood planer. In few places in the world, it’s also known as thicknesser.
Types of Wood Planer
There are different types of the best wood planer. Among those, three types are widely known. Those are:
- Jack planer
- Jointer Planer
- Smoothing planer
Jack Planer: The first type of wood planer, Jack is also known as hand plane or bench plane. A tool used for shaping woods using muscle power to force the cutting blade over the surface of a material is known as a hand plane. Mind one thing, if you use a miniature hand plane, it will never give you excellent scaling.
Jointer Planer: A jointer plane is used to make the forward side of the board flat. The plane which is used primarily for straightening the edges of boards in operation is known as jointer plane. Jointer plane is also known as a try plane or trying plane.
Smoothing Planer: A smoothing planer is used at the last stage of the process to give a superior smoothness to the planed wood.
There are some other types of planer such as:
- Manual Hand Planer
- Benchtop Planer
- Stationary Planer
- 2 in 1 planer tool
- Power Hand Planer
- Thickness Wood Planer
Best Wood Planer for the Money 2019
Our Top 3
|DEWALT DW734||Strong and durable|
|WEN 6552||Easy to Operate|
|Makita KP0800K||Quick blade installation|
Best Wood Planers Reviews
As we have made our research, we have gone through the market of different places both online and offline. There are different types of wood planer available in the market at different prices. We have found some of them interesting. We further look for the best ones. Here we have collected the 7 best wood planer according to public opinion and their service.
Here is find you “have must woodworking tools to have in your inventory”
Let’s see these illustrate the wood planers reviews…
DEWALT DW734 15 Amp 12-1/2-Inch Benchtop Planer
The DEWALT DW734 is a small benchtop thickness planer with only 80 pounds in weight. The price is comparatively low and perfect for any large or medium sized workshop. The 15 amp electric motor gives it enough power to reach a maximum of 20,000 rpm. The 3-knives cutter head with 10,000 rpm can provide 96 cuts per inch.
The Dewalt planer dw734 blades are too strong to withstand heavy duty work, and you can use it for full 2 years without a change. That reduces your cost to a high extent. And when the time comes, you can reverse the blades quite easily. There is a little problem of noise with this planer, so make sure to wear your earplugs while using.
The Dewalt dw734 planer is a planer that planes hardwoods neatly and is even better with softwoods. The mobility of this machine is a great catch. A dust hood is available with this machine that works very well with any vacuum cleaner.
The four column carriage lock reduces the movement that causes snipe, and the extended infeed and outfeed tables provide 33 ½ inches of material support. The features that can attract you to buy this best wood planer are:
- Strong and durable knives
- 3 knife cutter head with 10000 rpm
- Disposable and easy to change reversible knives
- Powerful motor with 15amp and 200000 rpm
- Four column carriage lock
- Long in-feed and out-feed tables
DEWALT DW735 13-Inch, Two Speed Thickness Planer
The powerful 15 amp motor has 20,000 rpm, and the cutter head speed is 10,000 rpm that can easily handle larger cuts in wider materials. The three knife cutter-head delivers 30 percent longer knife life and makes knife change faster and easier.
This best planer has a two-speed gearbox that allows its users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI. The fan assisted chip ejection vacuums chips off of the cutter head and exhausted them out of the machine. Other features include:
- 19-3/4″ cast aluminum base is 2X more rigid than a standard 10″ base and folding tables.
- Automatic carriage lock reduces the movement that causes snipe without the need for manual engagement by the user.
- Material removal gauge and large thickness scale deliver accurate cuts with every pass.
- Extra-large, turret depth stop allows the user to return to most frequently used thicknesses with ease.
WEN 6552 3-Blade 15 Amp Benchtop Thickness Planer
The WEN 13-Inch 3-blade benchtop thickness planer repurposes rough and worn wood to give it an exact and exceptionally smooth finish. The powerful 15-amp motor will provide you over 25500cuts per minute at a 26 feet per minute feed rate. Plane boards up to 13 inches wide and 6 inches thick with ease. This electric planer comes backed by a nationwide network of skilled service technicians.
- Onboard material removal gauge informs the user about the cutting depth of ease pass.
- You will be able to make plane boards up to 6 inches thick and 13 inches wide.
- 15 Amp motor generates 25,500 cuts per minute at a 26 feet per minute feed rate.
- Fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from the workpiece.
- Three blade designs do easy work out of even the hardest of the woods.
Bosch PL1632 6.5 Amp Planer
The PL1632 3-1/4 inch 6.5 Amp planer offers a planer lock-off/ lock-on button which is first in the industry that will help you prevent accidental start-up and provides for extended operation. Dual mount fence offers non-flexing guidance; avoid marring of door or workpiece face.
- Powerful planer with 6.5 Amp rating and 16,500 rpm speed for fast stock removal and smooth finish in soft and hardwood.
- Spring-loaded stand elevates tool to protect blade and tool resting spot; the special shape allows easy entry in the middle of the workpiece.
- Optimally angled handle for forwarding motion of tool with soft grip for comfort.
- Separate inch and metric depth scales for easy setting of planting depth.
- Dual-mount guide fence with the protective shield for the steady planning of door edges with plastic overshoe will prevent marring of door face.
Makita KP0800K 3-1/4 Inch Planer Kit
Makita is a manufacturer of industrial quality power tools and offers a wide range of industrial accessories. Makita delivers precision, accuracy, capacity, and innovation to woodworkers. The KP0800K is engineered for professional construction framing, window, and door installation, and fine woodworking.
- Easy blade setting system for fast blade installation
- The precision machined aluminum base for planning accuracy
- Equipped with double edge carbide blades for added performance
- Planes up to 3-1/4″ wide and 3/32″ deep in a single
Stanley 12-404 No. 4 adjustable Bench Plane
There is no tool in the STANLEY line better known and respected than the STANLEY Plane. Since 1870, STANLEY Plane has been the favorite of the carpenters and home craftsman alike.
The STANLEY No. 4 Adjustable Bench Plane with 2-inch Cutter has gray cast iron base with precision ground sides and a bottom that’s machined to be smooth and true. The wood planer created to work efficiently and easily with your bench top projects, the plane has all extra features you need to trim and fine tune your workpiece.
- 9-3/4-inch adjustable bench plane with a 2-inch cutter.
- Hardened, tempered steel gives precision-ground cutter edge durability.
- Gray, cast-iron base with precision ground sides and bottom; durable epoxy coating provides long-lasting protection.
- High impact polymer handles and knobs are contoured and polished.
Stanley 12-220 Block Plane
The hand planer can adjust by loosening the clamp wheel manually adjust the cutter. This will allow you to adjust the thickness and evenness of the shavings.
There is a finger rest at the front of the tool that will give more comfort and control during use. The Stanley plane is the best hand planer and made of the cast-iron base and is coated with an epoxy to give it the durability to last for many years. It is 7″ long and 2″ wide.
- The 12-220 has machined sides.
- Cutter rests at a 21-degree angle which is ideal for cross-grain planning.
- Gray, cast-iron base with precision ground sides and bottom. The durable epoxy coating provides long-lasting protection.
- Cutter is fully adjustable for depth of a cut alignment.
Best Wood Planer Buying Guide 2019
By shaving the top off of a surface of wood by using a rotating cutter head a wood planer works. If you are a carpenter or other craftsman who needs to make a rough, uneven wooden surface flat and smooth, you will certainly need this tool. This tool is a must for any work related to wood.
There are different types of planer which are available in the market having both advantages and disadvantages. So what are you going to do? There is an easy solution. You have to consider several things before buying the best wood planer.
The first thing you need to consider is in which type of project the planer is going to be used. This is the most important thing. Space, storage, the toughness of the lumber, portability, and frequency of use should be considered before purchasing the best wood planer.
We already know about planer types. So you can easily differentiate between them. Now it’s time to talk about planer features. You need to read the features carefully and think about your project. According to your project, select your features.
The motor is the key differentiator. You will find best wood planers with two types of motors. One is induction motors, and the other type is universal motors. Induction motors are made to use at a stationary workshop, static installation, and industrial set up.
Induction motors are sturdier and more durable than the universal one. Universal motors are lighter than induction motors, and they are used for portable applications, hand-held planers, and lightweight constructions.
Measure the space available in your working area and select the perfect size that fits in your available space. Otherwise, you will face problems.
You need to be aware of your required thickness. A typical electric planer has 6 inches of capacity, but machines with high thickness are available in the market. Most planers have a depth stop to adjust the planer to a commonly used width.
The maximum width of the lumber the planer or jointer can cut known as width capacity. So, you need to choose your machine according to your need. On an average planer come with a range of 12 to 20 inches capability.
Speed of the Blade
The speed of the blade is important. Some machines have the availability of adjustable blade speed. Others have only one speed. Some operators prefer to set the speed by themselves.
Two, three, and five knives are available in the planer cutters. The more blades and the faster the blade speed, the more strokes the blade will deliver, and the smoother and refined the cut will be.
There are different rates of powers are coming out of the wall. A standard jack will pull 110 volts alternating currents in the United States. A standard outlet will pull out 220 volts of alternating current in Europe and the rest of the world.
So, you should check the electrical specifications and ensure the equipment is meant to be run on that power coming out of the wall. If there is a mismatch, you will be able to solve the issue by purchasing a converter.
Planers and Jointers are highly powered industrial equipment which has rotating blades and knives moving extremely fast with a lot of power behind them. As such, they can be very dangerous.
One wrong move can cost a finger, a hand, and even a life. It’s important to observe and follow the safety precautions very carefully and strictly.
The safety rules to follow while using the best wood planer:
- Workers should not wear long sleeve shirts or long fitting clothing that can potentially catch on the rotating blades. If a shirt catches a blade, a hand or arm will follow it very quickly.
- Workers should remove bracelets, necklace and other jewelry that may catch on the rotating blades, pulling hands and fingers into them.
- Each machine should have an emergency stop switch. If there is not one, build one.
- Do not allow water to amass on the floor around planers and similar power tools.
- Each machine should be properly grounded. Otherwise, there is a greater chance for the operator to get an electric shock.
- Do not operate while the food exposed. Dust will contaminate the food.
- Generally, workers should wear eye protection at all times operating jointers and planers. The rotating blades cause a lot of wood particles to fly around in the air. In industrial applications or where the machine is in frequent use, hearing protection is also required. However, a dust port can help manage the number of wood particles that are in the air or collecting on the ground and other exposed surface.
Before purchasing anything knowing the price is important. There are some products which have different types of the price range. Some do have a certain fixed price. Wood planers are of different types. Different types of wood planers have different rates. But at first, you need to know the purpose of your purchase. Then the price comes. We have researched for you.
You will find the best wood planer starting at 20 dollars which end in 600 dollars. The price varies with the features. Blade speed, thickness capacity, width capacity, motor and rotating speed varies with price. So, knowing the purpose is important before buying your best wood planer.
After all these analyses you already have a clear view of the best wood planer. Now you need to know your purpose. Then you will figure out the working space. And after all, now you may find the best one suited for your purpose. Hope this will help your purchase.
Stay Connected with us on The Review Search.
Looking Some Others Reviews